Celebrations in the jubilee year
Throughout 2022, the 50th jubilee of Her Majesty The Queen’s accession to the throne is being marked and celebrated with a series of events. The jubilee year began on 14 January 2022 with a Council of State, the Danish Parliament’s celebration and a wreath-laying ceremony at Frederik IX and Queen Ingrid’s tomb. The remaining planned events related to the jubilee day were postponed until later because of COVID-19 restrictions. The jubilee’s previously planned major events will instead be held in September, and the program for the 50th jubilee of Her Majesty The Queen’s accession to the throne is as follows:
- On Saturday, 21 May, Tivoli celebrates the 50th jubilee of Her Majesty The Queen’s accession to the throne with activities for guests in the park and a ballet gala in the Concert Hall. Among other things, Her Majesty will visit the Pantomime Theater and Tivoli Garden’s costumer, and a jubilee tree will be planted in the middle of Tivoli. In the evening, dancers from the Hamburg Ballet, Royal Ballet in London, Paris Opera, New York City Ballet and Royal Danish Ballet, among others, will perform in a ballet gala, which will be attended by The Queen and the royal family. The day in Tivoli concludes with festive fireworks.
- The days of 3-4 June, the year’s first summer cruise concludes with a two-day visit in the Aarhus Municipality, when the municipality will celebrate the 50th jubilee of The Queen’s accession to the throne.
- During the summer months, the French city Cahors celebrates the 50th jubilee of Her Majesty The Queen’s accession to the throne and focuses on Denmark with several arrangements, among others two exhibitions, both titled “Margrethe II of Denmark: Artist-Queen”. At the city’s completely newly renovated Musée Henri-Martin, a total of 70 works, including paintings, watercolors and decoupage made by The Queen, will be shown during the period of 15 July 2022 – 5 March 2023, while the city’s library, Médiathèque du Grand Cahors, will display The Queen’s vignettes for Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings trilogy from 15 July – 13 October 2022.
- On Saturday, 10 September, it will be possible to see The Queen in connection with a grand changing of the guard at 12:00 at Amalienborg, when the royal family will appear on the balcony. Afterwards, Her Majesty rides through Copenhagen by carriage to take part in Copenhagen City Hall’s celebration of the jubilee. In the evening, The Queen also arrives by carriage when a command performance takes place at the Royal Danish Theatre’s Old Stage. DR will broadcast the performance.
- Sunday, 11 September begins with a celebratory church service at the Church of Our Lady – Copenhagen Cathedral. At midday, a luncheon will be held on the Royal Yacht Dannebrog. In the evening, The Queen will hold a gala banquet at Christiansborg Palace, where the royal family, foreign guests and representatives of official Denmark will participate. TV 2 will host an entertainment show.
- On Friday, 23 September, The Queen will hold a soirée for the Government, the Danish Parliament and Danish members of the European Parliament. The soirée is part of the celebration of the jubilee of The Queen’s accession to the throne, and, in addition to having dinner, the guests and the royal family will also be entertained in the Great Hall at Christiansborg Palace.
At kongehuset.dk, a theme page for the 50th jubilee of The Queen’s accession to the throne is set up, and information about the jubilee is continuously updated. There, it is also possible, among other things, to download the official jubilee logo, which is available for the celebration throughout the year. Information about accreditation, etc. will be made available to the news media separately.