The 50 years anniversary of HM The Queen’s accession to the throne
With the motto “God’s help, the love of The People, Denmark’s strength”, Her Majesty The Queen in January 2022 will have been the head of state of Denmark, the Faroe Islands and Greenland through a half century. On 14 January 2022, it will be 50 years since Frederik the 9th passed away and The Queen succeeded her father on the throne. Through her 50-year reign, The Queen has represented Denmark abroad and been a focal point at home.
The 50 years anniversary of The Queen’s accession to the throne will be marked and celebrated with a number of events in the middle of January in which the royal family, representatives of official Denmark and a number of foreign guests will participate. During 2022, the jubilee will also be marked with events in several places around the country. In addition to this, The Queen in connection with the reign anniversary will tell about her life and work in a number of interviews, TV documentaries and book releases. The full program for the jubilee year will be published at a later date.
The official program for the 50 years anniversary of The Queen’s accession to the throne in January can be read below:
Monday, 10 January
- POSTPONED: The Queen holds a press conference at Amalienborg.
Thursday, 13 January
- POSTPONED: The Queen opens the exhibition “A Queen’s Jewel Case” at The Royal Danish Collection – Amalienborg Museum.
Friday, 14 January
- The Queen and The Crown Prince begin the day with a Council of State at Christiansborg Palace.
- The Queen, together with The Crown Prince Couple and Prince Joachim and Princess Marie, participates in the Danish Parliament’s celebration of the jubilee.
- Later the same day, there will be a wreath laying ceremony at Frederik the 9th and Queen Ingrid’s gravesite at Roskilde Cathedral in connection with the 50th anniversary of Frederik the 9th’s death.
Saturday, 15 January
- POSTPONED: The Queen and the royal family appear on the balcony of Christian IX’s Palace at Amalienborg in connection with the changing of the guard at 12:00.
- POSTPONED: The Queen rides in a coach to Copenhagen’s City Hall, where there will be a celebration and official luncheon, and where The Queen will appear on the city hall’s balcony.
- POSTPONED: The jubilee is marked in the evening with a command performance at the Old Stage of the Royal Danish Theatre. The Queen arrives for the festive evening in a coach from Amalienborg, escorted by the Guard Hussar Regiment’s Mounted Squadron. The command performance will be transmitted by DR.
Sunday, 16 January
- POSTPONED: Celebratory church service at Church of Our Lady – Copenhagen Cathedral.
- POSTPONED: In the evening, The Queen holds a gala dinner at Christiansborg Palace in which the royal family, foreign guests and representatives of official Denmark will participate. The gala dinner will be transmitted by TV 2.
In connection with the jubilee, an official logo is released; it can be downloaded on wonderfulcopenhagen.dk starting today. The jubilee logo is for the use of media, municipalities, organizations, associations, companies, shops and other entities that in one way or another want to take part in the celebration of the 50 years anniversary of The Queen’s accession to the throne. The design firm Kontrapunkt has created the official logo.